Anytime I’m flying I pack lots of healthy snacks and fruit. Even if my flight is only an hour, I bring food in case there are any delays or unforeseen changes.
On flights that are serving a meal you can see if they have vegan options. I’ve found some do but most have vegetarian options which usually contain cheese or egg. Even if they have vegan options I bring my own food because the food they serve is usually full of salt and oil which won’t leave you feeling your best. I want to show up for my vacation refreshed and feeling great. Since I'm a raw vegan I don't eat cooked food so it's always best to prepare and bring lots of healthy snacks and food.
What snacks to bring for flights
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. This is very important since flying dehydrates you. I like to bring a water bottle that has a filter in it so I can fill it up after I go through security at the airport and when I get to my destination I don’t need to buy bottled water. I try to live as zero waste as possible so I don’t add to the trash and pollution on our beautiful earth.
- Dried fruit is great to bring when you travel because it doesn’t need to be kept cold and lasts for a long time. You can bring dried mango, peaches, dates, pineapple, etc. If you have a dehydrator you can make your own dried fruit or fruit leathers.
- I love to bring fresh fruit and it’s a great way to stay hydrated. I try to bring foods that can easily be eaten without utensils such as apples, blueberries, bananas and grapes. Cucumber and little cherry tomatoes are great too.
- Bring a salad. If it’s a long flight or they’re serving a meal, I’ll usually pack a large salad in a reusable container that folds up flat so it’s easy to pack in my suitcase for the rest of the trip. That way I can also pack a salad or meal for the flight home if I want to.
- Celery & carrot sticks with hummus or mashed avocado.
- Granola/snack bars. You can easily make these to avoid buying packaged ones. They’re super simple and you can customize them with all the ingredients you love.
- Bring your own travel utensils and napkin. They’re great to have while flying and when you arrive to your destination you don’t have to use plastic utensils or paper napkins.
- If you do need to buy something to eat, most airports have places where you can buy fresh fruit. It may not be completely ripe but do the best you can. There are usually restaurants that have vegan options since more and more people are becoming vegan. :)
Hope these tips help you to eat healthy, live zero-waste and arrive to your destination feeling great and ready to enjoy your vacation and create some memories.
Happy & Healthy Travels,
What are your favorite vegan snacks to bring on flights? Please share in the comments below.